After previously designing my 1st full book jacket going about creating this design would be pretty much the same, so I went about it the same.
I started by using the template that I created before to aid in my time-saving for my first design, this helped me a lot because it had all of the boundary lines and it had a basic grid to help me line up.
Using the lines from a source of the internet, I began the design by creating 2 boxes that I filled with correct colour scheme that I had previously chosen, at this stage more grids are needed for the up and coming aspects that are yet to be made/inserted.
I first got the green colour from my editing in Photoshop, I have used the same penguin logo at the top that I did in my 1st design, but to make it suitable for this design I had to change the background colour.
I had the great Idea of using the same set up/ layout from my previous design on this one, all I had to do was change the information to the correct lot given to, there was no point in changing/ re-designing something that I had already spent a lot of time doing, this was all good and time-saving but certain things were time-consuming in doing this, I first needed to change the background colour on the small orange penguin logos in Photoshop and then I had to adjust the layout of the blur and the spine text to accommodate the centre box being longer.
I next added in the image that I had created in Photoshop, I wanted the image to be bold and easily recognisable which it is, I made the illustration by collecting a UK map image off of the internet, I selected the whole of the background which allowed me to copy the shape of the map, creating a new canvas I pasted this copy and filled in the areas with the colour scheme.
I didn’t want the image to be floating on the front cover so I put it off to the side slightly cutting out a little bit of the design, this doesn’t affect the image in any way it is still easily recognisable.
This is just a quick screenshot of the completed design with all of the grids visible, The titles type was easy for me to do because after trial and error with the previous book cover, I already did all of the research and visual editing, the type on this design is all Gill Sana MT, this is because it is the standard Penguin font and I have continued to use it because of its simplicity and liability.
The final design showcases the classic look of a penguin book, the colour scheme works really well I think, it is very easy on the eyes and it makes the design look very simple which is something that I like, overall a success.